Inhabited since prehistoric times, Arezzo was one of the major Etruscan cities. From this period the mythological CHIMERA became the symbol of the city. After the BATTLE OF ROSELLE (295 B.C.) Arezzo was conquered by the Romans to who gave the city is current name today. With the spread of Christianity it was the headquarters of EPISCOPATO. After the tenth century the city continuously developed, peaking in 1304 following the conquest of CORTONA. Impossible at this point to avoid a clash with Siena and Florence, Arezzo GHIBELLINA was brought into the war and was defeated in the battle of CAMPALDINO, near Poppi. GUELFA Dante Alighier iparticipated in this battle.
Recognized by the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1860 as the capital of the province, Arezzo became part of the KINGDOM OF ITALY.